The sculpture entitled "A Symbol of Excellence" stands outside the Texas Heart Institute - the Denton A. Cooley Building. Created by the late Theodore H. (Ted) McKinney (1918-1983), the granite sculpture of a heart expressed his gratitude for the care that he and his daughter had received as heart surgery patients at the Institute. The sculpture stands seven feet tall and weighs 6,700 pounds. The granite was quarried in Cold Spring, Minnesota. Dedicated on March 16, 1977, "A Symbol of Excellence" serves as a lasting monument to the dedication to excellence in health care, research, and education at the Texas Heart Institute.
The Texas Heart Institute at CHI St. Luke’s Health - Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center - the Denton A. Cooley Building. Click here for location information.